Monday, May 11, 2009

Photo of Edgar Rivers?

This is the photo I mentioned in my comments about the Edgar Rivers post. This photo was in Aunt Ella's photograph and memorabilia collection that I am so fortunate to have now. Over the past year or so I have been scanning these photos and I have created a Kodak Album of some of these (all that was allowed for one album) and I hope to have another album finished by the end of this year. I gave my mother and Aunt Betty a copy of this album as well as my brothers and sister. I am doing this with Don's family photographs as well and this project is very time consuming. Anyway, I am not positive that this is Edgar Rivers in this photograph, but there is something about the hat and the way this man is standing that make me think it is him. I always wanted to get Edgar on videotape telling his stories about our White family members, but he never would allow it, but I did get some of his stories on audiotape. He came over to my Aunt Betty's home probably in 1993-1995 and my mother, Aunt Betty and I asked him many questions and I taped his responses. Unfortunately the responses were barely audible due to the quality of the machine I was using and/or Edgar's scratchy voice. This was not too long after Johnny Cash had visited with Edgar in Chesterfield and this is mostly what he wanted to talk about.

When Blake was still in school and before he got his Driver's License, he would give a long, loud sigh whenever we saw Edgar around in town because he knew that I was going to be standing there talking with him for at least an hour and many times more than an hour. One of the stories that I remember most because Edgar would tell it almost every time I saw him, was about a homeless stray dog that my grandfather, Thurman and Aunt Ella found. They gave it a home and a bath and Edgar must have been visiting with them at the time because he remembered so well that after they had bathed the dog, Aunt Ella said "now look at him shine!" So, that is what they named the dog, "Shine."

I will try to locate this audiotape that I made of Edgar. I will make some copies of it if I can find it for anyone that would like to have one.

2 comments:

  1. That does look an awful lot like Edgar. He was a great sportsman of all types. He had some fabulous English Pointers and was a great bird hunter. I know that he was still playing 9 holes of golf nearly every day when he turned 90. The last time I talked with Edgar, he could not remember who I was at first. He knew that he should know me, but could not recall my name until I told him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would very much like to have a copy of the recording you mention.

    ReplyDelete