Friday, July 31, 2009

Frankie White on the Reunion

I was so pleased with this year's White Reunion. The attendance was the best it had been in several years. I have been worried that the reunion would die out from a lack of interest, but maybe this year started a turnaround. I agree that we should give Anne Amos and Betty Hurst a hearty word of thanks for all they've done. Also, let's thank Bud Hammond for bringing copies of his research and for making such an interesting talk. Bud has done a great deal of research into the family genealogy, and as a good historian, is careful to document.

I always enjoy the White Reunion and have been to all but two of them.The reunion gives me an opportunity to see far-flung relatives that I so seldom get to see, and I always learn something new about the family. And then there's the food... Lord, the Whites can cook! I ate so much I was miserable most of the afternoon, and there were desserts that I didn't even get to sample. Not that I didn't want to, but I simply could not hold another bite of anything. Nobody can make a tomato sandwich like Bobbie Freeman. I don't know what she does, but hers tastes better than any I make. Someone once said, "I'd just as soon have one of Bobbie's tomato sandwiches as strawberry shortcake," and I agree.

My brother, Michael, makes the best chicken 'n' dumplin's. I thought they were especially good this year. As one cousin dipped in the pot, he said to me, "This is my third helping." And I can always count on some okra cooked in the old-timey way just as my grandmothers' used to cook. Someone brought a bowl of potato salad that was about the best I've ever tasted. I believe it had homemade pickles in it.

The only think lacking to make it a true White dinner was fried fish and catfish stew, but since I don't like fried fish — how can I be related to the Whites?— and since catfish stew doesn't rank high on my list of favorites, I'm willing to let them pass in favor of another potato casserole rich with cheese and sour cream or another plate of deviled eggs dressed up with paprika.

I guess my assessment of this year's reunion can be summed up in the old adage, "... and a good time was had by all."

No comments:

Post a Comment